Wednesday, April 15, 2015

My Fragrance review of Malachite by Banana Republic

Greetings my Lovelies!  I am creating a new feature to my fragrance reviews.  At the bottom of my reviews will be a linked YouTube video with a shorter description of this review.  If your not inclined to read to the end you may enjoy watching my video review instead.  

 I'm reviewing this sweet little green gem today for you.  Although this was released in 2007 by Banana Republic, which has released several other scents, this is the first I've had the chance to try out.  As luck would have it I was sniffing around my local shop for something unusual that I have never tried and came across this svelte and modern looking box containing a 20 ml of this juice.  The kicker was that it only cost me 5 dollars!  Can you believe it?  I couldn't at first, thought it was a joke or at the very least it was such a poorly made scent that the entire supply was being dumped at local retailers.  I was very glad to actually have bought it.

This notes listed for this scent are peony, water hyacinth, sandalwood, musk, black pepper, vanilla and green mango.  It states that this is an oriental fragrance for women.  However I do believe this can easily be unisex depending on the man. 

On first spray and I tested it out doing 3 spritzes on my chest and both wrists.  As I posted a YouTube video on my Channel regarding my initial feelings on this scent.  I will go into a little bit more detail here.  The perfume strongly reminds me of spelunking the Ape Caves in Mt. St. Helens Park in Oregon.  The caves there were pitch black without headlamps or lanterns and very wet, cold, and slightly menacing.  This perfume initially is that cold entrance into the beginning of that journey.  At first it doesn't feel like anything other than cold darkness is awaiting you from first spray.  The sandalwood, musk, green mango and water hyacinth are what stick to my nose intially at this point it all smells very linear and clean in a wet musty way.  Then after a few minutes the coldness begins to give way faint spicy ray of warmth.  As if through traversing this journey you suddenly stumble into a beam of sunlight oh so fleeting into this cold trail and throughout this scents dry down phase like this dark experience what's left is a very quiet and vague memory of a floral note which must be the peony at this point. 

On me personally this scent really emotes the sharp qualities of the green mango and the pepper and musk.  All of which I greatly like, so its a win for me.  But for someone that tends to like warmer or more "friendly" scents as it were you may not like this for its slightly aquatic feel despite it being listed as an Oriental.  I would describe it as a "cold" oriental.  She is like a woman but rather than flesh and blood and bone, more like a picture of beautiful woman  in an opulent  frame. 

At such a fantastic price and the bottle in such a charming and modern design I think it was a wonderful little treasure find.  Not really what one would consider a signature scent by any stretch of the imagination but it certainly has a notable quality for someone with a clear mind, goals, and a modern esthetic.  Much like the fashion house that designed it.

Till next post my Lovelies,

Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment