Sunday, July 20, 2014

Water scents to dream of!




                                              


I have a deep affinity for the element of water.  It's all shades of my favorite color blue and it is such a peaceful and alluring quality to surround oneself in and around.  Who doesn't love a beautiful ocean beach with sand and the warmth of the sun?  I think of pristine and cool Grecian coastal scenes, even the cold green of the Irish Coast, the tropical waves of the Pacific ocean against Makapu'u Bay on Oahu Hawaii.


But.....alas, finding a water scent that captures this quality is so hard.  To this day I  still fall upon my few faves.  It seems to be that the perfume industry equates watery scents to men which I dont really understand as its such a feminine quality to me. 

As I am still on a constant search to expand my water scents to more than my three long time favorites which is will be sure to talk about here, but until then these three remind me of daydreams of mermaids and starry skies under the deep blue of the ocean depths.


A personal favorite of mine is Womanity Acqua Chic by Thierry Mugler.  Okay can we first talk about how gorgeously weird and Steampunk this bottle is to me?  It gives me such a Industrial chic feel but the perfume inside is so seriously soft and watery.  It's got great staying power on me and throughout the several hours of wear from about 2 or 3 sprays I get continual wafts of the ocean.  I grew up surrounded by the ocean on an island so I can pretty much attest to the sweet and slightly salty effect this gives my skin.  Isn't it interesting that the color of the juice is pink and yet the scent is so very blue.  Bit masculine and feminine.  I love it and the unique bottle gives it even more desire.  There is nothing cheap about this fragrance.  Its made very well, lasts a good amount of time and the bottle is a serious work out art for those like myself who enjoy a bit of strange in the artistic fashion.







An old favorite of mine which I must say is NOTHING like the newest reincarnation of this namesake thankfully is one of the sweetest scents I've ever worn.  Sweet and salty and absolutely my holy grail water scent.  Its so confoundedly difficult to find these days at a reasonable price but I am always on the search for it.  Why do Houses discontinue the most amazing scents?  Why?  WHY!  To add insult to injury they remarket it and reformulate it and make you think the newest version will have a smidge of the original in it.  As I recently got a sample of the Acqua di Gioa at Sephora and tried it out and all I got was rancid oranges and cat urine....YUCK!  But I promise you if you find the original Acqua di Gio on a shelf and get to sample it you will love it.  It wears well on hot and cold days!  Its so refreshing and cool and the frosted mint blue color of the bottle is simply Mediterranean.  Gorgeous, in one word this perfume is gorgeous!


http://www.perfume.com/images/products/parent/medium/65105W.jpg



I happened across the tropical bottle at a T.J. Maxx one day.  It was described as a sweet acquatic and with a name like beachy I figured it was a reasonable impulse buy.  Even though at the time I had never heard of Lily Pulitzer, I bought it and sprayed the nondescript bottle on my wrist and instant memory of white sandy beaches and tropical drinks and breezy palm trees.  Very tropical and at the same time beachy and acquatic.  A very good deal at 10 dollars for 3.4 ounches I do think this one deserves a look see.  This line has three scents all with a different take on the outdoors I believe, the other is a citrus scent and the other a lemon based one as I recall.  Its a beautiful blue bottle with a satin ribbon on a classic glass stopper.  Its very much like the smell of a classy hotel on the beach with the evening wind blowing through the corridors.  Very lush and light.  This one will trigger memories of your youth in the tropics or at least give you fantastic daydreams of a dream unfulfilled in the tropics.

Well that is it for this post and I hope you enjoyed!  Many happy summer adventures before the sun descends into the briskness of fall.

Samantha























1 comment:

  1. Hello, May I ask where you got this beautiful photo of the ocean sunset that you used on your Sun, July 20, 2014 blog post? I am so in love with it that I would purchase it from whoever the photographer is, if I could, or I would download it in high res if it's available. Thanks! Love it so much!

    ReplyDelete